HWA Launch Hot Water Cylinder Consumer Servicing Guide
Monday 28th January 2019
The Hot Water Association (HWA), in conjunction with the wider industry, have produced a first of its kind, consumer guide, detailing what they can expect when having their hot water storage cylinder serviced by a registered engineer.
Isaac Occhipinti, Head of External Affairs, HWA said:
“Servicing is a topic that crops up almost on a daily basis. What constitutes a full service? What guidelines can I follow? These are regular conversations in the industry. As a result, the HWA, and its members have been considering what can be done to bring greater transparency, quality, and consistency to servicing in the UK. Helping the professional, accredited and diligent registered engineer to cut through and raise awareness of the necessity and requirements of a proper hot water storage system service.
One consideration was a minimum “hot water storage cylinder servicing guide”, incorporating customer information requirements.
As most cylinders have common component parts, a guide which outlines agreed industry standards, founded on technical competence, legislative compliance, and consumer protection seemed sensible.
HWA are delighted to have been able to bring this idea to fruition and are today launching a ‘Homeowners guide to Unvented Hot Water Storage Cylinder Servicing’.
The guide, of course, focuses on compliance with legal requirements (e.g. AD Part G) and ensures essential appliance checks, tests, and servicing tasks are correctly carried out, and in a safe manner.
The ‘first of its kind’ guide lays out an agreed industry best-practice approach to hot water cylinder servicing, whilst noting the important role played by manufacturer’s’ instructions. The guide also aims to educate consumers on the standards they should expect and details a list of the steps engineers should take when they visit a customer’s home.
This consumer-facing guide supports the professional accredited engineer. We believe that by outlining what homeowners can expect from their service, it will assist with the message that ‘the cheapest quote isn’t always the best.”
Engineers can download and share the guide here.
- New tool to help homeowners choose the right hot water cylinder
- HWA launch heat networks design guide
- HWA launch cylinder sizing calculator
- HWA Launch Hot Water Cylinder Consumer Servicing Guide
- JUL 2018 Homeowners could save up to £240 a year using excess solar energy to heat their hot water, says HWA.
- MAR 2018 HWA supports Government calls to mandate hot water storage in new builds
- OCT 2016 HETAS joins the Hot Water Association
- OCT 2016 New Biomass Technical standard launched by HWA and HETAS
- JUL 2016 ‘Naked cylinders’ breach Building Regulations warns HWA
- JUN 2016 HWA Charter updated to include ErP Directive requirements
Driving to improve standards within the domestic hot water industry